Road traffic estimates: 2011
|Publisher:||Department for Transport|
|Published date:||28 June 2012|
|Statistics topic:||Foreign registered vehicles, Major roads, Minor roads, Road traffic|
This statistical release presents road traffic estimates for Great Britain in 2011. These estimates have been revised to correct for a small error found in the estimates published on 28June 2012. The original estimates omitted data for a small number of sections of the road network in Scotland. Further details of the correction can be found in the document below:
Download the full release
Since the 1950s the long term trend in the volume of road traffic has been one of growth, peaking at 314.1 billion vehicle miles in 2007. Following the peak in road traffic in 2007, motor vehicle traffic then fell for three consecutive years; the first consecutive annual falls since traffic records began. In contrast, between 2010 and 2011 traffic volumes were broadly stable.
- In 2011 the overall motor vehicle traffic volume in Great Britain was 303.8 billion vehicle miles compared to 303.2 billion vehicle miles in 2010. This is broadly stable after three consecutive years of falls.
- Car traffic increased slightly by 0.4 per cent in the last year to 240.7 billion vehicle miles.
- In 2011, light goods vehicle (LGV) traffic grew for the second consecutive year by 0.8 per cent to 41.4 billion vehicle miles. LGV traffic peaked in 2007, with recent increases not being large enough to cancel out the falls experienced in 2008 and 2009.
- Increases in car and LGV traffic between 2010 and 2011 were offset by decreases in heavy goods vehicle (HGV) and bus and coach traffic.
- HGV traffic has decreased by 2.7 per cent since 2010 to 15.9 billion vehicle miles. HGV traffic has fallen by 8.6 per cent since 2001.
- Bus and coach traffic has decreased by 7.6 per cent since 2010 to 2.9 billion vehicle miles. Bus traffic has fallen by 9.1 per cent since 2001.
Download full release and all tables
- Road traffic estimates 2011 and XLS tables (ZIP – 812 KB)
- Road traffic estimates 2011 CSV tables (ZIP – 259 KB)
Browse statistical tables related to this release
- All traffic tables
- Road traffic by vehicle type and by road category (in vehicle miles)
- Road traffic by vehicle type and by road category (in vehicle kilometres)
- Motor vehicle flows
- Heavy goods vehicles: traffic by HGV type, weight-in motion, headway
- Foreign registered vehicles
- Road traffic by region and local authority
Information on road traffic statistics, including pre-release access list:
Related statistical releases
- Road traffic estimates: Quarter 1 2012
- Road lengths in Great Britain 2011
- Free flow vehicle speeds in Great Britain 2011
Download release and data tables prior to correction
These estimates have been revised to correct for a small error found in the estimates published on 28 June 2012. Copies of the original documents published on 28th June 2012 can be found here:
- Road traffic estimates 2011 (Pre-revision) XLS tables (ZIP 990 KB)
- Road traffic estimates 2011 (Pre-revision) CSV tables (ZIP 474 KB)
- Phone: 020 7944 3095