Research and statistics
The Department will continue to fund research that supports the development and implementation of the reform strategy. New reports will be published as and when they become available.
- Improving Blue Badge administration, assessment and enforcment: good practice review – Final Report, August 2011
- Blue Badge Reform strategy: enforcement evidence base, March 2010
- Research with Blue Badge holders, final report, Department for Transport, October 2008
- Blue Badge Scheme research with the wider public, final report, Department for Transport, October 2008
- The strategic review of the Blue Badge Scheme: an independent report by Rob Smith
- DfT response to the independent review: Moving beyond the Blue Badge review: turning evidence into action
- Transport Select Committee Report
This document was commissioned following a previous review of the Blue Badge (Disabled Parking) Scheme in 2002. The report discusses whether or not the Scheme’s eligibility criteria should be extended to cover people with a range of conditions, including Alzheimers and Autism.
The Department undertakes an annual survey of the number of blue badges issued in England. The survey covers local authorities, including unitary authorities, shire counties, London boroughs and metropolitan districts.