Reform of the Blue Badge Scheme
The Government announced on 14 February 2011 a major programme of reforms to the Blue Badge scheme. The reform programme has been developed in consultation with disabled people, local authorities and other stakeholders, and on the basis of research and economic analysis.
The announcement details the Governments plan to implement major reforms to crackdown on drivers who abuse the scheme and other changes to make it more sustainable for the future.
The reforms will deliver the most comprehensive changes to the Blue Badge scheme for 40 years. To view details of the changes that we intend to make, please see the documents below.
Blue Badge Improvement Service
- Changes to the Blue Badge scheme
- Blue Badge fraud crackdown for new year, press release 30 December 2011
- Blue Badge Improvement Service: frequently asked questions
- Letter from Transport Minister, Norman Baker to Local Authorities, 13 September 2011
Blue Badge Reform Programme
- Frequently asked questions
- Summary of Government’s reforms to the scheme
- Letter from Transport Minister Norman Baker to local authorities, 14 February 2011
- Written ministerial statement by the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport, 14 February 2011
- Government crackdown on Blue Badge abuse press release, 14 February 2011
- Consultation: Blue Badge reform programme
December 2011 regulations – supporting documents
- Impact assessment – (December 2011)
- Equalities impact assessment – (December 2011)
- Impact assessment – (December 2010)
- Equalities impact assessment – (February 2011 )