Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Monday, 15 October 2012

How to contact HM Revenue & Customs

When you get in touch with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), it will save you time and effort if you know who to contact. If they write to you, you should usually reply to whoever sent you the letter. If you have a more general enquiry, here are some ways of finding the right contact.

General enquiries

HMRC has a number of different contact points depending upon what your query is about.

Online services helpdesks

If you have problems or need further help when using an online service, contact one of the specialist help desks.

Telephone helplines

HMRC has a range of specialist helplines.

Some of the main helplines are:

Helpline for Number Opening hours
Bereavement enquiries for
Income Tax and Self Assessment
0845 300 0627

8.00 am to 8.00 pm Monday to Friday

8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday

Child Benefit 0845 302 1444

8.00 am to 8.00 pm Monday to Friday

8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday

Customs duties, excise and VAT 0845 010 9000 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday
Income Tax enquiries 0845 300 0627

8.00 am to 8.00 pm Monday to Friday

8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday

National Insurance Contributions Office 0845 302 1479

8.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday

Probate and Inheritance Tax 0845 302 0900

9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday

Self Assessment 0845 900 0444

8.00 am to 8.00 pm Monday to Friday

8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday

Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit 0345 300 3900

8.00 am to 8.00 pm Monday to Friday

8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday 

Trusts 0845 604 6455

9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday

If you are resident abroad and have an Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax enquiry, follow the link below to the Non-UK Residents Helpline.

Face-to-face advice

If you need to see someone in person - for example if you have particular needs, you will have to make an appointment at an HMRC Enquiry Centre. You might want to try calling one of the HMRC Helplines first. If the helpline is unable to answer your enquiry, the telephone operator can arrange to set up an appointment for you at an HMRC Enquiry Centre.

HMRC Enquiry Centres have a variety of opening hours.

Contacting HMRC by email

If you need to report a change of name or address – you can email HMRC. Find out more by following the link below.

Contacting HMRC by post  

If you know which HMRC office deals with your tax affairs, then you should contact that office. The postal address will be on any forms or letters from HMRC. If you can’t find an HMRC office address, follow the link below to see where to write to.

Forms, leaflets and guides

HMRC publishes many plain English leaflets designed to answer the most common tax and customs questions. You can download most of these right away from the HMRC website - along with many commonly used claim forms and most of the full tax return pages and help notes.

Ordering forms or leaflets to be posted to you

If you need multiple copies of forms or don't have access to a printer you can order them online and ask for them to be posted to you.

Enquiries about claiming tax back on bank and building society interest

Call the Taxback Helpline on 0845 366 7850 (open 8.30 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday). This helpline is not for taxpayers wishing to claim back Pay As You Earn (PAYE) tax.

HMRC services for customers with particular needs

This information will be relevant to you if:

  • you're deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment
  • you're blind or partially sighted
  • you're a wheelchair user
  • English isn't your first language
  • you need a home visit
  • you need help completing forms and Self Assessment tax return

Provided by HM Revenue and Customs

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.