Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2012


What kind of licence are you looking for? See the sections below for details about driving, marriage and gambling licences. You can also find out where to get information on licences for televisions, guns, alcohol and cultural property exports.

Driving licences

Information on driver licensing from the DVLA - getting a new or updated licence, what you can drive, endorsements and qualifications, medical rules and more.

The DVLA has introduced a secure service where you can apply online for a new or updated licence. You can:

  • apply for your first provisional licence
  • change your address details
  • exchange your paper licence for a photocard licence
  • get a replacement if your licence is lost, stolen or defaced
  • renew your licence if you are aged 70 or over
  • view or print your exisiting application
  • view the details held on your licence

Property licences

Since 6 April 2006, properties considered 'Houses in Multiple Occupation' (HMO) need to be licensed.

Alcohol licensing

The Licensing Act 2003 introduced new types of licence and changed the way alcohol licensing is controlled.

Gun and firearms licensing

Information about firearms licensing, including how to apply for a firearms/shotgun certificate at the Police National Legal Database.

Busking licences

Busking in itself is not illegal, although many local authorities have passed byelaws prohibiting busking. If you want to busk it is worth contacting your local council to see if any byelaws have been passed with regards to busking. Children under 14 years may not busk.

Marriage licences

Information on getting married, living together, civil partnerships (for same-sex couples) and getting divorced.

Gambling licences

The Gambling Commission regulates gambling in the public interest by:

  • keeping crime out of gambling
  • ensuring gambling is conducted openly and fairly
  • protecting children and vulnerable people from being harmed or exploited by gambling

The Commission is responsible for regulating:

  • betting (on-course and off-course)
  • casinos
  • bingo halls
  • gaming machines
  • lotteries
  • remote gambling

Appealing against a decision

If you hold, or you are applying for, a gambling licence and you disagree with a decision made by the Commission, you can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Gambling).

The Commission is not responsible for regulating all gambling.

The Financial Services Authority is responsible for 'spread betting' and the National Lottery Commission is responsible for the National Lottery.

Export licences and cultural objects

Some cultural objects more than 50 years of age and valued above a certain amount need a licence if you want to export them out of the UK.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Claim Jobseeker's Allowance online

If you need to apply for Jobseeker's Allowance, do it online at a time that suits you

Domestic violence - get help

Domestic violence: protecting yourself and getting help

Don't suffer in silence. Find out about the advice, help and support that's available to you

Access keys