Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Authorising an accountant to deal with HM Revenue & Customs for you

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has a strict legal duty of confidentiality which means that they need your written permission before they can deal with your agent or accountant.

Using an accountant

You don’t have to employ an accountant if you don’t want to, particularly if your financial situation is straightforward. However, you may find that a good accountant can help you manage your finances more easily.

Tax agents and accountants can deal with all your tax affairs, including filling in your tax return.

Using form 64-8 to authorise your accountant

You need to give written permission for your accountant to deal directly with HMRC on your behalf. To do this you should download and complete form 64-8 ‘Authorising your agent’.

You can also order a form online.

Or you can request one over the phone by calling the Self Assessment Orderline.

Alternatively your tax adviser or accountant can use HMRC's online authorisation service to avoid having to deal with the paper form.

Bear in mind that even if you have a tax adviser or accountant, you are personally responsible for your own tax affairs and the accuracy of all information supplied to HMRC.

Access keys