Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Help with the cost of your child's education

Whether your child is going to school, college or university, help is available with the costs of their education.

Help with preschool costs

Every three and four year old child in England is entitled to free part-time early education.

If you are a working parent, lone parent or student, you may be entitled to extra help with the cost of early education and childcare.

Help with school costs

All children in England between the ages of five and 16 are entitled to a free place at a state school.

Depending on your circumstances, extra help might be available for with the costs of school meals, uniform or transport.

Free school lunches and milk

If you receive income support, Jobseekers Allowance or certain other benefits, your child could be entitled to free school meals.

To find out more and apply online, follow the link below.

Help with uniform costs

Families who are on benefits or on low income could be entitled to clothing grants or vouchers from their local authorities to assist with the cost of school clothing.

To find out more and apply online, follow the link below.

Free school transport

If the nearest suitable school for your child lies beyond a set distance, your local authority must provide free transport.

To find out more and apply online, follow the link below.

Help with other costs from 16 to 19

Other types of financial help for young students include special funding for dance and drama courses, help with transport costs, and help for children needing childcare or studying abroad.

Click on the link below to find out about all the help available for those staying in education after 16.

Claiming benefits for over 16s in full time education

If your child is aged between 16 and 19 and is still in full time education, or on a work-based employment programme, then you can still claim Child Benefit, Child Tax Credits, and any other benefits for dependants you may receive.

If your child's course continues after they reach 19, you can continue to get Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits. But once they complete their course or they reach 20, you will stop receiving these and any other dependants' benefits.

Help with university and higher education costs

Help for students in university or higher education include student loans, grants and bursaries.

To find out more about student finance, click on the link below.

The role of parents, spouses and partners

If you are the parent, spouse or partner (sometimes referred to as 'sponsor') of a student, you may be expected to make a contribution toward their costs while they are at university or college.

Click on the link below to find out what role you have to play when your son or daughter goes into higher education

Useful contacts

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.