Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Other travel discounts for young people

If you can't drive, then you'll probably be using public transport to get around. If you're planning on using the bus, train or coach, it's a good idea to check what discounts are available to young people.

Bus travel

Although you may get free transport to and from school during the week, this doesn't mean you can get free bus journeys at the weekend. However, many local bus companies only charge half-price fares for young people under 16.

If you're over 16, you may be able to get a student or young person's bus pass, depending on what schemes your local transport company operates.

To get more information about public transport near you, you can either contact your local council or the bus companies that you know you'll be using.

Coach travel

If you're between 16 and 26 years old, and you're planning to take a trip by coach, you may be able to save money by getting an NX2 card from National Express.

An NX2 card costs £10 and gets you up to 30 per cent off the cost of all coach journeys around the UK that are operated by National Express.  The best way to get an NX2 card is by applying online.

There are also lots of other coach companies that run trips and tours across the country. To find out about the different journeys available, you can plan your journey online and decide which is the most convenient for you.

Tube travel in London

If you travel by tube in London, there are a number of discounts that young people can get.

If you're under 16, you can travel at a discounted rate, but you'll need to get a Zip Oyster photocard to prove your age.

You can get an application form for an Under 16 photocard at any Post Office in Greater London, or by calling 0845 330 9876. Once your parent or guardian has signed it, you'll need to take the form back to the Post Office, along with a passport photo and a form of ID. This should be your passport or your birth certificate.

If you're 16 or 17, you'll need to get a 16-17 Zip Oyster photocard. You'll be able to get travelcards for seven days or more at a reduced rate. You can also save money on single fares by using the Oyster system. Without a Zip card, you'll have to pay the full adult fare.

More information about the different types of tube fares can be found on the Transport for London website.

Other types of local transport

There are lots of other ways of getting around, depending on where you live, including

  • trams
  • ferry and boat services
  • park and ride schemes

If you want to use these services, check to see whether they offer discounts for young people.

Useful contacts

In this section...

Additional links

Careers Advisers are here to help

If you're aged 13-19 you can contact a Careers Adviser for information, advice and support on a range of issues affecting young people

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys