Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Premium checking service

You can use the premium checking service to get your application checked and sent on to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), when applying for a photocard driving licence. The service is available at selected Post Office® branches and DVLA local offices. The service isn't available for online applications.

Post Office® branches

You can apply for your licence at a Post Office® with your application, identification, photograph and any required fee. A clerk will check your application to be sure that all sections have been filled in correctly and send it to DVLA. They may also need to send your identification depending on what you use with your application.

Post Office® branches need one of the following identity documents:

  • current United Kingdom (UK) passport
  • proof of receipt of UK State Retirement Pension (a bank or building society statement received within the last three months)
  • proof of eligibility to UK State Retirement Pension letter (BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899)

If you use your digital passport it will be given back to you if you allow DVLA to check your identity with the Identity and Passport Service (IPS). If you use your proof of a pension, you'll have these documents given back to you. DVLA reserves the right to ask for these documents if necessary.

If you use a digital passport and do not allow DVLA to check your identity with IPS or you use a non-digital passport the document must be sent to DVLA.

Identity documents must be in your current name. You can't use this service if you're changing your name.

There is a premium service fee which is additional to the licence fee.

DVLA local offices

DVLA local offices provide a similar service to the Post Office®. If you have a licence issued in another country, a service is offered at a select number of local offices.

Licenses issued in another country

You can use this service if you are applying for a full British licence in exchange for a current full paper or photocard driving licence from an European Community/European Economic Area country or designated country. There are three local offices that provide the service - Glasgow, Nottingham and Wimbledon. You can also use the DVLA's main reception at:

Longview Road

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Get Highway Code reminders

Get reminders about the Highway Code by following it on Twitter and Facebook

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.