Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2012

'Right to Control' pilots launched

  • Published: Monday, 13 December 2010

The areas that will pilot the 'Right to Control' have been announced. Disabled people in these areas will now have more control over their social care, housing and employment support. Find out more about the Right to Control, who is eligible and which areas it is available in.

What is the 'Right to Control'?

Help and support

Find the help and support you’re entitled to, whether you're disabled yourself or care for a disabled person

Right to Control is a new way that disabled people can use the money they get from the state. For the first time disabled people will be recognised as the experts in their own lives, with the right to choose and control the support they receive.

Under the new scheme, disabled people will be able to choose who delivers their services and how they receive them. They can have as much or as little control as they like. This mean they could choose to spend the money on a wide range of support to help them to live their lives with greater independence and freedom to achieve their goals.

You can choose to:

  • use the support service that is offered now, if you are happy with the service
  • let a public body arrange a different support service
  • where possible, buy your own support using money given to you by a public body
  • have a mix of these

For example, public bodies may only be able to offer a small number of services, like access to a daycentre and a specific employment programme. In the future, a disabled person could decide to employ someone to help them with work, home and leisure activities. They could decide to keep things the way they are, or have a mixture of both.

Who has the 'Right to Control'?

You are entitled to the Right to Control if you are aged 18 or over and are a new applicant for one of these support services:

  • Access to Work
  • Adult Social Care
  • Disabled Facilities Grant
  • Supporting People
  • Work Choice

At the moment the Right to Control is available to disabled people living in seven test areas in England – these are called ‘Trailblazers’.

If you live in one of these areas and receive the Independent Living Fund, you will get the Right to Control the next time your support is reviewed.

The Trailblazers that start on 13 December 2010 are:

  • Essex County Council
  • Leicester City Council
  • London Borough of Barnet
  • London Borough of Newham
  • Surrey County Council (two parts only: Epsom and Ewell Borough Council and Reigate and Banstead Borough Council).

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council and Sheffield City Council will start on 1 March 2011.

Greater Manchester (including Manchester City Council, Oldham Council, Bury Council, Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council and Trafford Council) will start on 1 April 2011.

Depending on how successful the Right to Control is in these areas, the government will then decide whether to roll out the Right nationally.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys