Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Holidays in the UK for disabled people

This information relates to holidays and breaks in the UK for disabled people, families and carers. Find out about the support available as well as details of the National Accessible Scheme.

Organisations providing holidays and breaks

There are many organisations and charities which arrange and provide holidays for disabled people. These can save you the time and trouble of organising things for yourself and you are usually guaranteed access and assistance. But you might get less choice of where to go, what to do and where to stay.

Types of holiday and breaks

There are many types of holiday to suit people with different impairments or disabilities. Here are some ideas:

  • activity holidays - including swimming, sailing, riding and camping
  • more leisurely holidays that include tours and sightseeing
  • walking holidays with a particular theme, for example birdwatching

As well as hotels and guesthouses, types of accommodation also include:

  • self-catering cottages
  • holiday parks and activity centres
  • campsites

VisitEngland's National Accessible Scheme lists holidays that provide for the requirements of disabled people with special needs.

Types of support while on holiday

Special equipment, adapted vehicles, nursing and care services may be important considerations on holiday. Some travel companies deal specifically with holidays for disabled people. They will take into account accessible buildings, local attractions and leisure facilities.

Depending on your needs - and the holiday destination you choose - support may be provided by professional carers and/or nurses as well as volunteers. You may be able to choose the level of care required.

Financial support

Some charities help towards holiday costs and some also own their own properties. Families on a low income, and with a disabled child, may be eligible for a grant towards the cost of a holiday. Contact your social services department of your local council.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.