The road freight statistics series provides information on the domestic and international activity of British and Northern Irish heavy goods vehicles (HGVs). This information is collected by the Department’s two main road freight surveys, the Continuing Survey of Road Goods Transport (CSRGT) and the International Road Haulage Survey (IRHS).
The Department also publishes data from bespoke surveys on the activity of foreign HGVs working in the UK, and the activity of light goods vehicles (vans).
Information about maritime, rail and air freight activity can be found in the appropriate sections of the Transport Statistics website.
Browse statistical releases within this series
Browse individual statistical tables within this series
The majority of the road freight statistics are National Statistics. These were assessed by the United Kingdom Statistics Authority (UKSA) and confirmed as National Statistics in December 2009.
- Assessment of compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics: Road Freight Statistics (PDF – 78.6 KB)
- Letter of confirmation as National Statistics (PDF – 48 KB)
Pre-release access list
The list below details the post holders who are given pre-release access to the statistics for up to 24 hours prior to release:
Archived publications on road freight statistics
- Road Freight Statistics 2009
- Survey of Foreign Vehicle Activity 2009
- Van Activity Baseline Survey 2008
- Survey of Company-Owned Vans 2003-2005
- Low Carbon Vans Survey 2009
- A Guide to the Department for Transport’s Road Freight Surveys (PDF – 52 KB)
- Sources of Road Freight Survey Information (PDF – 69 KB)
- Welsh Government Transport Statistics
- Scotland Transport and Travel Statistics
- Northern Ireland Transport Statistics
- Eurostat Transport Database
- Phone: 020 7944 4261