This series provides statistics on freight handled by UK sea ports.
We publish quarterly provisional statistics on freight handled by major UK ports. Key annual statistics are updated on a provisional basis in June (but this has been moved to 5 July in 2012 due to pressure of work, and more detailed final annual statistics are published in September.
The statistics are based mainly on returns from port operators and shipping lines and agents. For further details of the data collection see the Technical Information below.
A printable version of our Port Freight Statistics 2011 final figures is available – combining the Statistical Release with printable versions of most of the tables – please see the release page
Other Maritime Statistics
The Department for Transport produces a range of statistics relating to the maritime sector. The ‘Guide to Maritime Statistics’ gives further information on these statistics, their users and uses.
Links to other maritime-related statistical series can be found in the Related Information section below.
An Index to all maritime statistics tables is also available. This gives cross-references to the former Martime Statistics printed compendium, and other superceded printed publications.
The Fleet statistics sections of the former Maritime Statistics compendium will be replaced on 5 July by a new Shipping Fleets web series.
The ship arrivals tables (PORT06**) were updated to 2010 in revised and expanded form on 8 March 2012. These tables will be updated for 2011 at the same time as the final port freight statistics for 2011 are published (September 2012).
Also available are a Maritime statistics factsheet and the results of DfT surveys of employment and accident rates in the ports sector (see Background Information section below).
Browse statistical releases within this series
Browse individual statistical tables within this series
- Port freight statistics: all statistical tables
- Freight traffic through UK ports (by weight)
- Unitised traffic through UK ports
- Key port stats including top ports by cargo category and maps
- Tables for individual ports including pivotable tables
- Provisional quarterly results
- Ship arrivals by port
- Maritime Table Index (XLS – 138 KB)
These statistics are currently being assessed by the United Kingdom Statistics Authority (UKSA) to determine their compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. An assessment report was published in June 2012 (Report 221).
Pre-release access lists
This details the post holders that are given pre-release access to port freight statistics for up to 24 hours prior to release
- Port freight statistics technical note (PDF – 375 KB)
- Guidance for submission Port Freight Statistics
- Maritime statistics factsheet (PDF – 55 KB)
- Maritime statistics compendium (editions of former printed compendium up to 2009)
- Port employment and accident rates – summary results (PDF – 48 KB)
- Port employment and accident rates – full report (PDF – 702 KB)
- General information on freight policy
- Sea passengers statistics
- Roll-on Roll-off international freight statistics
- Seafarer statistics
- Domestic waterborne freight statistics
- Shipping fleet statistics
- Phone: 0207 944 3087