National Travel Survey
The National Travel Survey (NTS) is the primary source of data on personal travel patterns in Great Britain. The NTS is an established household survey which has been running continuously since 1988. It is designed to monitor long-term trends in personal travel and to inform the development of policy.
The survey collects information on how, why, when and where people travel as well as factors which affect personal travel such as car availability, driving licence holding and access to key services.
Since 2002, the Department for Transport (DfT) has commissioned the National Centre for Social Research to conduct the survey fieldwork. Data collection consists of a face-to-face interview and a one week self-completed written travel diary. Approximately 20,000 individuals, in 8,000 households, participate in the NTS each year.
The 2011 NTS results will be published later than usual this year. The date has been provisionally announced as November 2012.
Browse statistical releases within this series
Browse individual statistical tables within this series
Statistics from the National Travel Survey were assessed during 2010 by the UK Statistics Authority. An assessment report was published in October 2010. The statistics were confirmed as National Statistics in July 2011.
- Assessment of compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics: statistics from the National Travel Survey (PDF – 136 KB)
- Letter of confirmation as National Statistics (PDF – 74 KB)
Pre-release access lists
The post holders given pre-release access for up to 24 hours prior to release.
The following factsheets, based on NTS data, have been published since 2010:
- Commuting and business travel factsheet – April 2011 (PDF – 50 KB)
- Commuting and business travel factsheet tables – April 2011 (XLS – 211 KB)
- Health-related travel difficulties personal travel factsheet – March 2010 (PDF – 40 KB)
- Travel in urban and rural areas personal travel factsheet – March 2010 (PDF – 40 KB)
- Use of public buses personal travel factsheet – March 2010 (PDF – 56 KB)
- Vehicles personal travel factsheet – March 2010 (PDF – 50 KB)
- Focus on Personal Travel: 2005 edition(PDF – 1,777 KB)
Older factsheets are available on request from the contact points below.
- NTS questionnaire 2011 (PDF – 532 KB)
- NTS fuel and mileage chart (PDF – 161 KB)
- Young persons travel record 2011 (PDF – 511 KB)
- Adult travel record 2011 (PDF – 666 KB)
- Standard errors – analysis: 2009 NTS (XLS – 236 KB)
- Standard errors – methodology: 2009 NTS (PDF – 168 KB)
- National Travel Survey 2010 technical report (PDF – 4000 KB)
NTS technical reports for earlier years are available on request from the contact points below.
The DfT ran a public consultation, on the future design of the National Travel Survey from June to September 2011. The consultation sought users views on the design of the NTS from 2013 onwards. The consultation document put forward a number of proposals to develop the NTS while reducing data collection costs, and is available for download at the link below:
A report containing a summary of responses to the consultation and details of the decisions the Department have made regarding the design of the survey from 2013 was published on 19 January 2012 and is available for download at the link below:
- Public consultation on future design of the National Travel Survey – summary of responses (PDF – 149 KB)
Also published on 19 January 2012 were three reports on the fieldwork, data processing and summary analysis of the 2011 NTS GPS pilot. These are available here:
- National Travel Survey 2011 GPS Pilot Field Report (PDF — 445 KB)
- Processing of National Travel Survey GPS Pilot Data, a technical report (PDF — 802 KB)
- National Travel Survey 2011 GPS pilot: a summary analysis (PDF — 216 KB)
Reports from a feasilbility study into the use of GPS in the NTS are available here:
These build on an earlier report into the potential use of new technologies in the NTS, which is available here.
A number of other NTS research and methodology reports have been published previously, with further information and copies of older publications available from the contact points below.
- NTS research datasets available from the Economic and Social Data Service
- Phone: 0207 944 3097