Shipping fleet statistics: 2010
|Publisher:||Department for Transport|
|Published date:||5 July 2012|
|Statistics topic:||Fleets, Maritime, Ships|
This publication presents summary statistics on UK and world shipping fleets, updated annually. Data are generally updated simultaneously with releases in the port freight statistics series.
Download the full release
- There were 728 UK owned trading vessels, totalling 20.2 million gross tons, or 21.1 million deadweight tons. Of these 728 vessels, 158 were tankers, 148 were ro-ro vessels, 116 were container ships and 69 were bulk carriers.
- 923 trading vessels were UK parent owned, totalling 25.8 million gross tons and 33.2 million deadweight.
- 1,261 trading ships were UK managed, totalling 49.6 million gross tons or 64.3 million deadweight tons.
- All three of these fleets, as well as the UK Registered fleet, had grown substantially over the previous decade, but growth had levelled off over the last 1-2 years, and the size of the UK parent owned fleet had declined.
- The world trading fleet at the end of 2010 consisted of over 55,000 vessels, totalling 913 million gross tons, or 1.35 billion tons deadweight.
Browse all statistical tables within this series
Information on shipping fleet statistics, including the pre-release access list, and related technical documentation, can be found here:
- Phone: 020 7944 4119