Reported road casualties Great Britain: provisional estimates Q3 2011
|Publisher:||Department for Transport|
|Published date:||2 February 2012|
|Series:||Road accidents and safety|
|Statistics topic:||Casualties, Road casualties|
This publication presents statistics on personal injury accidents in the year ending September 2011 on public roads (including footways) in Great Britain, which became known to the police within 30 days.
Reported Road Casualties in Great Britain: Quarterly Provisional Estimates is a series providing estimates of personal injury road accidents and their casualties. These estimates are published to allow emerging trends to be monitored between the publications of annual figures.
Statistics and data in this publication relating to the 12 month period ending June 2011 replace those of the previous quarterly provisional estimates. See methodology note for more information.
Download key results
Download key results and all tables
- RRCGB quarterly estimates Q3 2011 XLS Tables (ZIP – 167 KB)
- RRCGB quarterly estimates Q3 2011 CSV Tables (ZIP – 12 KB)
- There were 1,900 people killed and 24,430 killed or seriously injured (KSI), in reported road accidents in the year ending September 2011. This represents a fall of less than 0.5 per cent for fatalities and a fall of 4 per cent for fatal and seriously injured casualties compared to the previous 12 month period.
- There were 204,350 total casualties (slight injuries, serious injuries and fatalities), 5 per cent less than the year ending September 2010.
- Total reported child casualties (ages 0-15) fell by less than 0.5 per cent to 19,890 with those killed or seriously injured down 7 per cent (to 2,400), compared with the year ending September 2010.
- The number of injury road accidents reported to the police fell by 5 per cent (to 151,250) however the number of fatal accidents fell by less than 0.5 per cent (to 1,780) compared with the 12-month period ending September 2010.
- Motor vehicle traffic levels fell by 0.7 per cent compared to the 12 month period ending September 2010.
Browse statistical tables related to this series
A note on the methodology and definitions used to produce the quarterly estimates can be found here:
Information on Road Safety statistics and definitions, including the pre-release access list, and other relevant publications can be found here:
- Phone: 020 7944 6595