Reported road casualties Great Britain: main results 2010
|Publisher:||Department for Transport|
|Published date:||30 June 2011|
|Series:||Road accidents and safety|
These statistics refer to personal injury accidents in 2010 on public roads (including footways) which became known to the police.
Figures for deaths refer to people who sustained injuries which caused death less than 30 days after the accident. A more comprehensive analysis of 2010 casualty statistics will be published later this year in Reported road casualties Great Britain: 2010 annual report.
Important Note: Figures for 2010 have been revised slightly since the publication of Road Casualties in Great Britain 2010 on 30 June 2011. The number of fatalities
was revised downwards by seven to 1,850.
Download full release
Download full release and all tables
- Reported road casualties Great Britain: main results 2010 and XLS tables (ZIP – 71 KB)
- Reported road casualties Great Britain: main results 2010 and CSV tables (ZIP – 16 KB)
- The number of people killed in road accidents reported to the police fell by 17 per cent from 2,222 in 2009 to 1,850 in 2010. This is the lowest figure since national records began in 1926.
- A total of 24,510 people were reported killed or seriously injured in 2010, 9 per cent less than in 2009.
- There were 208,648 casualties (slight injuries, serious injuries and fatalities) in road accidents reported to the police in Great Britain in 2010, 6 per cent less than in 2009.
- Total reported child casualties (ages 0-15) fell by 5 per cent to 19,569 in 2010. The number of children killed or seriously injured in 2010 was 2,502, down 6 per cent on 2009.
- Motor vehicle traffic levels fell by 2 per cent compared to 2009. The overall casualty rate for accidents reported to the police per billion vehicle miles therefore fell to 677 per billion vehicle miles, compared to 709 casualties per billion vehicle miles in 2009.
Browse all statistical tables related to this series
Information on road accidents and safety statistics, including the pre-release access list, can be found here:
- Phone: 020 7944 6595