Quarterly bus statistics: quarter 1 2012
|Publisher:||Department for Transport|
|Published date:||21 June 2012|
|Statistics topic:||Buses and coaches, Concessionary travel, Journeys / Trips|
This publication presents data on passenger journeys on buses in Great Britain during Q1 (January to March) 2012, including provisional estimates for the 2011/12 financial year. The figures are estimated using a panel survey of the largest bus operators and are seasonally adjusted.
Download full release
Download full release and all tables
- Quarterly bus statistics and XLS tables (ZIP – 96 KB)
- Quarterly bus statistics CSV tables (ZIP – 4 KB)
The key provisional annual results are:
- Bus passenger journeys in England increased slightly between 2010/11 and 2011/12, with a 0.6 per cent increase over this period.
- Within England, there was an annual decrease in bus passenger journeys of 2.3 per cent in metropolitan areas and 0.2 per cent in non-metropolitan areas, but an increase of 2.4 per cent in London.
- Bus passenger journeys increased by 1.0 per cent in Scotland and 1.8 per cent in Wales, between 2010/11 and 2011/12.
Comparing Q1 (January to March) 2012 with the same quarter in the previous year:
- There was an increase in bus passenger journeys of 1.7 per cent in England with a 3.9 per cent increase for London, no change in metropolitan areas, and a decrease of 0.6 per cent in non-metropolitan areas.
- Over the same period there was an increase of 2.5 per cent in passenger journeys in Scotland, and an increase of 0.6 per cent in Wales.
Comparing the last two quarters, between Q4 (October to December) 2011 and Q1 (January to March) 2012:
- There was an increase in bus passenger journeys of 1.6 per cent in England (2.0 per cent in London, 1.7 per cent in metropolitan areas and 0.6 per cent in non-metropolitan areas).
- Over the same period there was an increase of 0.5 per cent in passenger journeys in Scotland, and an increase of 0.9 per cent in Wales.
Browse statistical tables related to this series
Information on bus statistics, including the pre-release access list and related technical documentation, can be found here:
Related statistical releases
- Phone: 020 7944 3076