The Department and its agencies are always pleased to receive comments about its work. We are happy to answer any queries and supply information about what we do.
For driver and vehicle related enquiries please contact the transport agencies
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
- Driver enquiries 0300 790 6801
- Vehicle enquiries 0300 790 6802
- Car and motorcycle licence medical enquiries 0300 790 6806
- Bus and lorry licence medical enquiries 0300 790 6807
- DVLA switchboard 01792 782 341
- DVLA online queries
Driving Standards Agency (DSA)
- Theory and practical driving tests
- Compulsory basic training
- Approved driving instructors (ADIs)
- DSA switchboard 0300 200 1122
- DSA online queries
Government Car and Despatch Agency (GCDA)
- Government cars
- GCDA switchboard 020 7217 3837
- GCDA online queries
Highways Agency (HA)
- Urgent road safety issues
- Traffic enquiries
- HA 0300 123 5000
- HA online queries
Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA)
- Maritime search and rescue service
- Certification to seafarers and registration of vessels
- Pollution from shipping and offshore installations
- MCA switchboard 023 8032 9100
- MCA online queries
Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)
- Testing and inspections
- VOSA switchboard 0300 123 9000
- VOSA online queries
Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA)
- International test and certification services for vehicles and vehicle parts
- Dangerous goods
- Fuel consumption and CO2 information
- VCA switchboard 0117 951 5151
- VCA online queries
Contacting the Department for Transport
If you contact us we will:
- always try to be helpful.
- make a note of all comments given to us about our policies, and will make sure they reach the policy officials and Ministers concerned.
- answer your general questions about our policies, and will, whenever possible, give general advice about how the Department’s policies and practices might affect you.
Please do not send enquiries to the personal email accounts of members of staff – if they are away from the office for any length of time, you will not get the level of service we aim to provide.
Please use the contact form to send us your enquiries
Telephoning the Department for Transport
If you want to telephone us, you can do so by contacting our Enquiry Helpdesk on:
- 0300 330 3000
Calls to 03 numbers cost the same as calls to standard geographic numbers (i.e. numbers beginning with 01 or 02).
All calls on mobile phones distract from driving. If you are driving, even if using a hands-free phone, please only call us when you are safely parked.
The helpdesk is open between 8.30am and 17.30pm Monday to Friday. The staff can usually deal with simple and routine queries straight away. If not, they can almost always connect you to one of our many Enquiry Contacts in the relevant policy division, who should be able to deal with any issue you might raise.
If we cannot answer your question immediately, we may ask you to leave your contact details. One of our Enquiry Contacts will then phone you back as soon as they possibly can.
We deal with many thousands of phone calls every year and we aim to provide the same high quality and helpful service to everyone who calls. This inevitably means that we cannot devote our time to matters apart from the Departments policies, or enter into lengthy debates about the Government's policies, nor can we enter into repeated discussions of the same matters with the same caller.
Please also note that we are not able to provide members of the public with the contact details of members of our staff who are not enquiry contacts. Also, we cannot connect members of the public directly to any of our Minister’s offices.
Contacting the Department for Transport Press Office
For details of how to contact the Press Office visit the News section.
Writing to the Department for Transport
If you wish to write, please send your letter to:
Department for Transport
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
We aim to respond to all letters and faxes about the Department’s policies within 20 working days of receipt.
When we receive a large volume of standard correspondence on a subject over a short period, typically concerning a campaign on a particular issue, we may not acknowledge all of these or send individual responses. All such representations will, however, be taken into account when considering the issue concerned and we will ensure the Department’s views and decisions about such matters are effectively disseminated.
How to access information
If you want to know how to access information, either under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, Environmental Information Regulations or the Data Protection Act, then please see our Information charter.
If you want to make a complaint about our administrative practices or service delivery, further information on how to do this can be found by looking at our complaints procedure.
Feedback on the website
If you have any user comments or technical queries specifically about this website, please email the Web Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Queries regarding the Department’s policies or transport issues should be sent via the contact form.