Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Sunday, 9 September 2012

Your water bill: getting help if you cannot pay

  • Published: Wednesday, 13 April 2011

The due date for paying water bills is fast approaching. If you are receiving benefits and cannot pay your bill, read on to find out what help is available.

Help with paying your water bill

If you can't pay your bill, contact your water company as soon as possible. This will mean you can get the help and support you need. Water companies offer flexible payment options such as a weekly or monthly payment plan, instead of having to pay all in one go.

In addition there are other schemes, which are listed below:

Help with arrears

Also, many water companies have trusts or other schemes which could help you clear some outstanding debt. Individual water companies have different eligibility criteria and ways to apply. You should contact your water company to find out if you’re eligible for a scheme in your area.


If you’re in arrears, and you get certain benefits, you can arrange to have a fixed amount deducted from your benefits and paid to the water company until the arrears are cleared. If you think the Water Direct scheme would help you, contact your water company or the DWP to apply.

WaterSure – customers with water metres

WaterSure caps your household’s water bill at the local average, so you can use the water you need without worrying about the bill. You may be eligible if your water company measures your usage with a water metre, and one of the following is true:

  • a member of your household gets benefits and has a medical condition that makes the household use more water
  • you get benefits and have 3 or more children under the age of 19

If you think you are eligible for WaterSure, you will need to apply through your water company. If you don't have your water company's contact details handy, follow the link below.

You can also contact the Consumer Council for advice via their freephone number 0845 039 2837, or visit their website.

Was this information useful?

How useful did you find this information?

500 character limit
Your Privacy Opens new window

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

GOV.UK - take a look

GOV.UK is a trial of a new home for government information and services. Let us know what you think

Latest news

    © Crown copyright

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.