The Rt Hon Sir Andrew Morritt CVO is the Chancellor of the High Court which was a post established by the Constitutional Reform Act 2005, replacing the office of Vice Chancellor of the Chancery Division of the HIgh Court.
Born on 5 February 1938 he studied at Magdalene College, Cambridge and entered the Hon Society of Lincoln’s Inn where he was called to the Bar in 1962.
From 1970-1977 he was Junior Counsel to the Secretary of State for Trade in Chancery Matters and between 1972-1977 Junior Counsel to the Attorney General in Charity Matters.
He was appointed a Queen’s Counsel (QC) in 1977 and subsequently became the Attorney General to HRH The Prince of Wales from 1978-1988.
Appointed a High Court Judge (Chancery Division) in 1988, he also sat as Vice Chancellor of County Palatine of Lancaster for three years from 1991 when he became a Lord Justice of Appeal until 2000.
Between 1997 and 2000 he was President of the Councils of the Inns of Court and the Bar and was Treasurer of Lincoln’s Inn in 2005. He became the first ever Chancellor of the High Court when he was appointed to the new position in October 2005.
He served on the Advisory Committee on Legal Education from 1969-73 and the Top Salaries Review Body from 1982-87.