A call to developers: Make an app that uses our feeds.
We'd like to see what kinds of applications you developers might be able to make from our syndicated feeds. Below is a quick brief for an application we're calling the Ultimate Holiday App but if you've got another great idea, especially one that combines multiple feeds, feel free to submit it to us too.
As you'll know, we syndicate the following content from across UK Government sites:
- Core content, newsroom and contact information from Directgov
- Core content and medical advice from NHS Choices
- News updates, travel advice and embassy/consulate information from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office
We'll also have syndicated content from Business Link online soon.
The Ultimate Holiday App
Create an app that provides tailored travel information that is useful for any trip made by a UK citizen. Going to Germany or Guadeloupe? Or both? Set the app up to provide official, authoritative content that might include things like:
- Travel content from Directgov
- Info on UK Passports from Directgov
- Information about air travel from Directgov
- Info about international roaming on your mobile from Directgov
- Medical and vaccination advice from NHS Choices
- Travel news updates for your destination(s) from the FCO
- The latest Travel Advice and warnings for your destination(s) from the FCO
- Embassy or Consulate addresses for your destination(s) from the FCO
The app can take whatever form you wish and you can call it whatever you like. You're in charge of what it does, how it looks and how it works. It could be a mobile app, a web app for desktop, mobile, tablet or all three, embeddable content like a widget or a simple desktop app. You could incorporate it or embed it into your existing site or service too.
The more open and accessible it is, the better. At Directgov Innovate we actively encourage the development of software using open source technologies wherever possible.
When it's done
Let us know about your app. Submit it here on the Directgov Innovate site.
Getting the syndicated content
You'll need to register for access to feeds from Directgov, NHS Choices. The feeds for The Foreign & Commonwealth Office are currently open. Follow these links for information and access:
Good luck, and happy coding!
Trackback URL for this post: