This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Frequently asked questions

What schemes come under Learner Support?
The schemes that fall under Learner Support are:

  • 16-19 Bursary Fund
  • Transitional Education Maintenance Allowance
  • Transitional Adult Learning Grant
  • Care to Learn
  • Dance and Drama Awards
  • Residential Support Scheme
  • Residential Bursary Fund

What is the Learner Support Service?
The Learner Support Service is responsible for administering the following Learner Support schemes on behalf of the YPLA:

  • Transitional Education Maintenance Allowance
  • Transitional Adult Learning Grant
  • Care to Learn
  • Dance and Drama Awards
  • Residential Support Scheme

This includes responsibility for processing applications, administering the payment system and running the learner and provider helplines.

Who delivers the Learner Support Service?

Responsibility for the administration of Learner Support schemes is delivered and administered by Capita.

What is laps?

Laps is the Learner Assessment and Payment System. This administers EMA and ALG. More information is available under the EMA section.

What is the turnaround on processing applications?
We will aim to complete the assessment of all applications within three weeks. Learners and Learning Providers can help to speed up this process by ensuring that applications are completed accurately and that all required information is provided promptly.

For information on applying for or administering Learner Support schemes, please visit the relevant page in this section of the website.

How will you keep providers informed of what is happening and when?
We appreciate that providers are on the front line and we understand the importance of keeping providers informed. We want to ensure that providers are kept up to date with the plans and will communicate through E-bulletins and User emails.

How do we find out more/contact the YPLA?
If you would like to find out more about the Learner Support Service or would like to get in touch you can contact us using the following:

Learners can find out more by visiting the Money to Learn pages on the DirectGov website or by calling the helpline on 0800 121 8989. For information on the 16-19 Bursary Fund, learners should contact their provider.

Learning Providers
Learning Providers can find out more by calling the helpline on 0845 600 7979. For the 16-19 Bursary Fund, you can email your questions to

How do I access the policy guidance documents?
To access the guidance please visit the relevant scheme’s page on the website.

Web alerts

Web Alerts iconThe web alerts service allows you to be alerted when a new document or news item becomes available on the website.

Register for web alerts