Access key links:

How to complain about BIS

We are committed to providing a high quality, accessible and responsive service to businesses and the community. However, if you believe that the service you have received is not up to the appropriate standard, please send us your complaint or comments. We will take them seriously. We give all our staff guidance on how to deal with complaints.

If you have a complaint to make on the way we have provided a service or implemented a policy, we have the following procedures to help you.

If you have a complaint about a particular piece of Government policy for which we are responsible, you should write to the Minister concerned or to your local MP.

BIS Complaints Procedures

The following Executive Agencies and Management Units are among the main providers of our services to the public and businesses. They all have their own complaints procedures.
To view them use the links below:

Companies House
Export Control Organisation
Insolvency Service
UK Trade & Investment

If you have a complaint or comment about the way in which these organisations have provided services, you should contact them direct. Our Enquiry Unit can give you an address and phone number.

Complaints about the service you have received from the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills

The Department deals with members of the public and businesses on a wide variety of issues on a daily basis, for example, to provide advice on Government policy in particular areas, to consult on issues or to consider representations We aim to carry out these functions as efficiently and effectively as possible. However, if you feel that the Department has not dealt with your issues in an appropriate manner and you wish to make a complaint, please follow the procedure as set out below.

How to make your complaint

You can make your complaint, (which will be dealt with confidentially), in writing, by phone, fax or e-mail:
Phone (BIS Enquiry Unit): 0207 215 5000
Fax: 0207 215 0105

You can write to:
The Complaints Officer
Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
Enquiry Unit LG 94
1 Victoria Street

Please ensure you give us full details of the issues/person you are complaining about. This will assist the Department’s Complaints Officer to address your concerns within the 15 day published target. Please use the list below to ensure you have given us all relevant details:

  1. The area (or person) of the Department to which your complaint refers and a contact name (if you have one).
  2. Information on whether it is an original complaint or a follow-up to a reply you were not satisfied with.
  3. A clear description of the complaint and what you would like us to do to sort things out.
  4. Your full postal address, phone number and e-mail address (if you have one).

What happens next?

The Department’s Complaints Officer will, in the first instance, pass your complaint to the relevant person in the Department and will work with that person to ensure that you are given a satisfactory response within 15 working days of receiving your complaint. If this is not possible we will explain why and give you a date by which you can expect a full reply.

If you are not satisfied with our reply

You should write/email/phone again, asking the Complaints Officer to investigate your complaint further, giving your reasons for not being satisfied with the original response.

If the Complaints Officer feels that further investigation is justified an enquiry will take place and you will receive a response within 15 working days. If this is not possible we will explain why and give you a date by which you can expect a full reply.

If you are still not satisfied

If you are still not satisfied, you should write/email again asking for a review of the decision made by the Complaints Officer. This review will be undertaken by an independent Senior Official within the Department.


If you have gone through our complaints procedure and you are still not satisfied, you have the right to refer the matter to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (the Ombudsman). You must make complaints to the Ombudsman through an MP. Your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau can give you the address of your MP. You can get more advice from the Ombudsman’s office at the following address:

Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration,
Millbank Tower,
London SW1P 4QP
Phone: 0345 015 4033
Fax: 0300 061 4000

Users’ views

One of the ways in which we can continue to improve our services is by listening and responding to your views. We would also welcome any comments or suggestions you have on our complaints procedure, to make sure it works as efficiently and effectively as possible. Please send these to The Complaints Officer at the address above.

This document is available on our website in both English and Welsh. Please ask us if you would like a copy of this document in large print.

Other useful websites


Sign up for email alerts and newsletters

Other ways to get in touch

Call us

020 7215 5000 or 020 7215 6740 (Minicom)

Write to us

Ministerial Correspondence Unit
Department for Business, Innovation & Skills
1 Victoria Street
London SW1H 0ET

We aim to respond to emails and other written correspondence within 15 working days.