Frozen meals recall update: December 15
Friday 15 December 2006
The Agency has issued an updated food alert for information in relation to the recall by Asda, Birds Eye and Sainsbury's Supermarkets of frozen ready-to-eat meals with rice, due to the possible presence of small fragments of glass.
The original alert was issued on December 14. Today's update follows further date code information received from Asda Stores Ltd.
The source of the potential contamination has been identified and remedial action has been taken.
- Asda Chicken & Mushroom 500g BB (best before) 25 OCT 2007
- Asda Pork Char Sui 500g BB 19 Oct 2007
- Asda Good For You Chicken Tikka 400g BB 28 Oct 2007
- Asda Good For You Beef Chilli and Rice 400g BB 20 Oct 2007
- Asda Good for you Sweet Chilli Chicken 400g BB 13 Oct 2007
- Asda Brand Chicken Curry with rice 400g BB 28 Oct 2007
- Asda Prawn Curry with rice 400g BB 26 Oct 200
- Asda Sweet & Sour Chicken 500g Best before (BB) 16 Oct 2007 17Oct 2007
- Asda Chicken & Mushroom 500g BB 24 Oct 07
- Asda Pork Char Sui 500g BB 18 Oct 07
- Asda Chicken in Blackbean 500g BB 31 Oct 07
- Asda Good For You Chicken Tikka 400g BB 12 Oct 2007 13 Oct 2007 27 Oct 2007
- Asda Good For You Chicken in Peppercorn 400g BB 13 Oct 2007 16 Oct 2007 03 Nov 2007 04 Nov 2007
- Asda Good For You Chicken Korma 400g BB 20 Oct 2007 25 Oct 2007
- Asda Good For You Chicken Piri Piri 400g BB 19 Oct 07
- Asda Good For You Beef Chilli and Rice 400g BB 19 Oct 07
- Asda Good for you Sweet Chilli Chicken 400g BB 12 Oct 07
- Asda Brand Chicken Curry with rice 400g BB 18 Oct 2007 19 Oct 2007 27 Oct 2007 31 Oct 2007 01 Nov 2007 02 Nov 2007 03 Nov 2007
- Asda Beef Curry with Rice 400g BB 26 Oct 2007 03 Nov 07
- Asda Prawn Curry with rice 400g BB 25 Oct 07
- Asda Sweet & Sour Chicken 400g BB 20 Oct 07 23 Oct 07
- Asda Good For You Coconut & Coriander Chicken 400g BB 20 Oct 07
- Asda Brand Chunky Beef Chilli 400g BB 18 Oct 07
- Asda Smart Price Chicken Curry 300g BB 25 Oct 2007 26 Oct 2007
- Asda Good for You Mushroom Stroganoff with rice 400g BB 01 Nov 07 02 Nov 07
- Asda Great Stuff Mild and Creamy Chicken Curry with rice 300g BB 03 Nov 07
- Asda Brand Sticky Chilli Chicken with egg fried rice 500g BB 01 Nov 07
- Birds Eye Chicken Curry with Rice Ready Meal 400g
- Birds Eye Chicken Tikka Massala with Rice Ready Meal 400g
- Birds Eye Beef Curry with Rice Ready Meal 400g
- Birds Eye Prawn Curry with Rice Ready Meal 400g
Batch Code: L6285, L6290, L6291, L6296, L6297, L6298, L6305, L6311
(Only products with above batch codes are affected by product recall)
- Sainsbury's Sweet & Sour Battered Chicken 500g
- Sainsbury's Chicken in Blackbean Sauce 400g
- Sainsbury's Be Good To Yourself Sweet & Sour Chicken 450g
- Sainsbury's KIDS Creamy Chicken Curry with Rice 300g
Batch Codes: All products with the Best Before End Oct 2007.
No other products of the above companies are known to be affected.
Asda, Birds Eye and Sainsbury's have undertaken a product recall of the affected items, which were manufactured by Rye Valley Foods (Republic of Ireland), and will be issuing consumer alert notices which will appear in the national press on the 14 and 15 December.
Birds Eye wants its customers to call a dedicated helpline on 0800 146252 (open Monday-Friday 8am-8pm and 10am-4pm at the weekend) to arrange for a refund, rather than asking customers to return the product to the store it was bought.
For the other companies, you can take the product back to the store where you bought it for a refund.
Food alerts are the FSA's way of letting local authorities and consumers know about problems associated with food and, in some cases, providing details of specific action to be taken. They are issued under two categories:
- Food Alerts: for Action
- Food Alerts: for Information