Search by typing in words or phrases, eg chilled food
- You can use the Advanced Search to narrow your search to particular sections of the website.
- You can also identify a phrase using double quotation marks, eg "chilled food". This limits your results to where that exact phrase appears rather than including where the words in the phrase appear separately.
- A search for chilled food, for example, will look for documents containing all the words in the phrase first, ie documents that contain both chilled and food.
- If there are no documents that contain all the words you have entered, then documents that contain one of more of the search words are displayed. If this occurs, the following message appears: 'There were no documents that contained all of the words in your query. These results contain some of the words'
- Where there are documents containing all words, you are also given the option (at the bottom of the last page of results) to show documents that contain only some of the words: 'Expand your search to see results that contain some of your words'
- You can also search for related words by putting an asterisk on the end of a search word. For example, a search for fish* will return results, where available, for fish, fisheries, fishery, fishing, etc.
- The more words you put in, the more precise your search. However, be aware that you also limit the number of results by doing this and so may not see results that would be useful to you.
- It makes no difference whether you use upper or lower case letters.
- Search suggestions are displayed at the top and bottom of each page and underneath many search results. You can click on these to perform a search on that term: Search Phrase: chilled food
Search Suggestions: temperature control | food safety regulations | ...
- Click on page numbers, Previous/Next to navigate through the search results returned.
- If a spelling isn't recognised, an alternative may be suggested: Search Phrase: cooffee
Did you mean: coffee
- If any of the results are on a different Food Standards Agency website to the one you are searching on, then this is reflected in the results.
- You can use the Back button on your browser to return to the list of search results after looking at a particular result.
- Results that do not go to standard web (html) pages are indicated with icons, eg a pdf is indicated with