Religious education guidance in English schools: Non-statutory guidance 2010
You can download this guidance in PDF format.
The purpose of this guidance, produced by DCSF, is to support the provision of high-quality religious education (RE) in maintained schools in England. It provides clear non-statutory guidance about RE in the curriculum and the roles of those who have a responsibility for, involvement in or interest in the subject. The guidance is intended for:
- local authorities (LAs), standing advisory councils on religious education (SACREs) and agreed syllabus conferences (ASCs)
- governors, headteachers, curriculum planners, teachers and trainee teachers of RE and others in maintained schools
- educational agencies, advisers, inspectors and consultants
- providers of initial teacher training (ITT) and continuing professional development (CPD), trainers and mentors
- representatives of religion and belief groups locally and nationally
- RE professional bodies, national and local.
This guidance does not constitute an authoritative interpretation of the law; that is a matter for the courts.
Read the DCSF press notice.
Last updated: 01 February 2010