Thinking of becoming a teacher?
last updated:30 Mar 2009
If you are thinking of becoming a teacher, the first step towards training is to contact one of the organisations providing guidance and further information on teaching as a career:
- different ways into teaching
- training options
- finding a training provider
- the application process
- accessing funding
- gaining teaching experience e.g. by visiting a classroom or trying a 3-day taster course.
- developed by the Department for Children, Schools and Families to support the education profession
- features a comprehensive teaching and learning section
- information on issues such as the national strategies
- free online teaching resources, including teachers reviews of more than 2,000 lesson plans.
- what it’s like to teach in various settings, such as primary or secondary school
- details of the qualifications and experience sought by potential employers.
- runs a flexible initial teacher training course
- produces a detailed guide, Becoming a teacher 2008-2009.
- provides detailed guidance to help prospective and current students who are seriously considering teaching as a career.