Developing middle leaders through coaching
last updated:01 Dec 2008
A CPD strategy that works for Highlands Primary School, Redbridge.
How does it work?
- Monthly staff meetings are followed by middle leaders meeting the next day.
- The agenda is related to the themes of the staff meeting, but leaders are coached through the issues so they feel confident taking things forward with their team.
- Provides an opportunity to voice concerns, debate and to ‘own’ the issues.
- Year team leaders and subject leaders develop action plans. Feedback from leadership team through professional development interview and written mode gives management strategies for implementation of plan.
What is the impact?
- Distributed leadership.
- Supportive approach- on going CPD for middle leaders.
- Greater confidence in taking forward whole school policies.
- Improved support for classroom teachers.
- Inclusion is fed into subject and year group leadership continually enhancing planning and differentiation.
For more information
Highlands Primary School