Our mediation service
Our mediation service was launched to help companies and individuals involved in intellectual property (IP) disputes. This includes unregistered copyright and design rights, as well as registered rights such as patents, trademarks and registered designs.
The Intellectual Property Office supports the move towards using mediation and has a team of accredited mediators trained at the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR), who have extensive experience of dealing with IP disputes. There is no obligation to use our own mediators and a list of other mediation providers is available.
Why use this service?
If you choose our mediator, we will deal with the arrangements for the mediation. This includes the issuing of written notices and the handling of fees. The Office will issue a Mediation Agreement (49Kb), which the parties will have to sign to confirm that they agree:
- To use mediation to try and resolve their dispute;
- To use a mediator provided;
- To the location and costs associated with the mediation.
1. The costs of using one of our mediators, including accommodation for the mediation, general administration and their travelling expenses are detailed below:
- Full day: £1000
- Half day: £750
- Full day: £750
- Half day: £500
2. We have suitable accommodation available for the parties to mediate at either our London or Newport Offices. Under the accommodation only option these facilities are available when other mediators are selected to handle IP disputes.
The cost for accommodation at either location is £100 (plus VAT) per half day. If you employ a mediator who is independent from us, you must agree fees separately. When using our mediator there is no separate accommodation charge as this is included in the costs quoted above.
All costs are subject to VAT for UK customers and will be borne equally by the parties unless agreed otherwise.
For more information or to request one of our mediation services then please contact us at:
Search and Advisory Service
Intellectual Property Office
+44 (0)1633 811010
Fax: +44 (0)1633 811020
Please note that you must accept liability for the transmission of any information you send us or ask to receive from us via e-mail.