This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Early years and childcare: For all other users

Types of early years and childcare Ofsted regulates

We register four types of early years and childcare.

  • Childcare on domestic premises: a group of four or more people working with children in someone’s home.
  • Childcare on non-domestic premises: a person or organisation providing care on premises that are not someone’s home, such as a purpose-built nursery, or a village hall. This provision covers private nurseries, playgroups, after-school clubs and the like.
  • Home childcarer: home childcarers care for children from birth, up to the age of 18, at the home of one of the children. The children must be from no more than two families at any one time.
  • Childminder: childminders on the Early Years Register provide care for one or more children aged between birth and five, to whom they are not related, for reward in someone’s home - usually their own; childminders on the Childcare Register provide care for one or more children aged between five and eight, or from eight to 18, in someone’s home - usually their own.

There are two registers.

  • the Early Years Register
  • the Childcare Register.

An early years and childcare provider can apply to join one register or both registers at the same time.

For further information, go to the Regulation of early years and childcare page on the left.