Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Sunday, 30 October 2011

Children and schools abroad

Moving children to schools outside the UK can involve considerable preparation by the parents and a period of adjustment for the child. It can be an unsettling at first, but depending on their age, children generally make friends and adapt to their new school quite quickly.

Finding a school place

not all countries have free state-funded education

You can contact the education authority or schools information service where you are moving to. They can help you understand the choice and application process. You can also get help with what state schools are in the area.

You are likely to find contacts for such information on the government website for that particular country. Or, you can try searching on the internet for state or private schools in the area of your choice. Not all countries have free education funded by the state.

You should find out what education your child will be entitled to. Check whether you need to be a national of the country to qualify and how much you are likely to have to pay. Many countries have English speaking international schools. The pattern of school holidays and daily hours can vary between countries.

Documents needed

For some schools, you will need to provide copies of your child's immunisation certificates when you apply.

A birth certificate or passport with a certified translation in the language of the host country may also be needed. The school should be able to tell you how you can obtain a certified translation.

Adjusting to a new school

The younger your child, the easier it will be for him or her to adjust to going to school in a new country. Coping with a new language and customs will be harder for older children. It is possible for teenagers to adjust, but it may take longer than for younger children. Getting used to a new education system and leaving friends back in the UK are two of the main difficulties for the older child.

Some countries and schools run international exchange programmes for young people. This might be a helpful way for your child to explore their new environment and get to know another country before you move. You can contact the education authority or schools information service in the place you are moving to find out more.  

Was this information useful?

How useful did you find this information?

500 character limit
Your Privacy Opens new window

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Europe made easy

Help and advice on life, work and travel in the EU

Help and advice on life, work and travel in the EU

Parenting advice videos

Video advice from Parentchannel on a range of issues

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.