Advanced search
Contact us
Last updated at 10:33 (UK time) 12 Aug 2011

Contact us

On this page you'll find information on how to contact the FCO depending on what your enquiry is about.

Passport information

If you are a British national currently abroad that requires the following:

  • Renew or replace a British passport.
  • To report a lost or stolen British passport.
  • Emergency travel documents.
  • Information on passport fees.
Please see our Passport information page for details and contacts. Alternatively, email:


The Foreign & Commonwealth Office DOES NOT handle visa operations.

Please contact the UK Border Agency for the following:

  • Student visa applications
  • Visa appeals
  • Indefinite leave to remain
  • Residency in the UK
  • Settling in the UK
  • Visas for visiting the UK
  • Visas for partners and families

Any enquiries we receive relating to visas will not be processed by the FCO.

Travel Advice


Phone: 0845 850 2829 (24hrs, 7 Days a week) (BT - 4p per min. Other networks vary)

Information on passport validity can be viewed on our travel advice pages here select the country you are travelling to, scroll down the page to the Entry Requirements section.

ATAS - Academic Technology Approval Scheme

Information on ATAS

Legalisation and apostille service

If you need to use British documents for business or personal matters abroad, or for any questions relating to legalisation please see information on the FCO’s Legalisation and apostille service.

The contact details are as follows:
Phone: 03700 00 22 44 (Monday to Friday 12:00-16:00)


The Foreign Office and all British Embassies offers a registration service for British nationals visiting or residing in a foreign country.Contact the FCOFor all enquiries and questions regarding the UK's foreign policy and the FCO's administration and objectives, please use our feedback form.

Freedom of Information (FOI) requests

Would you like to make an FOI request?

Please see our Access to Information website and details of how to make an FOI request.

Help and assistance British nationals abroad

Please use our feedback form if you are a British national abroad seeking the following help and assistance. 

  • Passport, documents and legal issues.
  • Victims of terrorist attacks, natural disasters, crime and assault abroad.
  • Hospitalisation, imprisonment, stranded abroad.
  • Child abduction, kidnapping, missing persons.

Contact the FCO

For all enquiries and questions regarding the UK's foreign policy and the FCO's administration and objectives, please use our feedback form.

Write to us 

Foreign & Commonwealth Office,
King Charles Street,

Call us

For general enquiries phone our switchboard on 020 7008 1500. 

Technical problems

You can report a technical problem with our website, including broken links, error messages or email subscription issues. All other enquiries or questions should be directed to one of the above contacts.