Minister of State for Health
Biography of Simon Burns
Simon was elected MP for Chelmsford since May 2010. He was MP for Chelmsford from June 1987 – April 1997 and MP for West Chelmsford from May 1997 - April 2010. He was a member of the House of Commons Health Select Committee from 1999 – 2005.
In 1972, Simon worked for Senator George McGovern in his presidential election bid against Richard Nixon and on Hilary Clinton’s Presidential Campaign in the New Hampshire Primary Election in January 2008. From 1973-75 he was a committee member, Political Action Officer and Secretary of Oxford University Conservative Association and a member of the Oxford Union.
Simon was educated at Christ the King School, Accra, Ghana; Stamford School, Stamford, Lincolnshire; and Worcester College, Oxford, where he read Modern History. He also has an Honorary Doctorate of Philosophy from Anglia University.
Simon has a daughter, Amelia, and a son, Bobby.
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Timothy Eggar MP and the Rt. Hon. Gillian Shephard MP
- Assistant Government Whip
- Lord Commissioner of Her Majesty's Treasury
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State
- Shadow Health Minister
- Opposition Whip
Sorry, there are currently no speeches available for Simon Burns .
- NHS Financial Performance
- NHS Performance
- NHS Capital Funding
- Community Services
- Acute Services
- Emergency & Urgent Care
- Cardiac, Stroke, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Renal
- Reconfiguration of Services
- Veterans’ Health Services
- Patient Safety,
- Patient Experience
- NHS Litigation
- Application of Quality Regulation
- Economic Regulation: Monitor
- NHS Workforce, including pay and pensions
- NHS Estates,
- Connecting for Health
- NHS Appointments Policy
- NHS Income Generation Policy
- Hospital Travel Cost Scheme
- Procurement, including Independent Sector Treatment Centres
- Earl Howe’s business in the Commons
Other ministers in the Department of Health
Andrew Lansley Secretary of State for Health
Paul Burstow Minister of State for Care Services