Green Flag Winner 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011
The area known as Pymmes Park has a long history, dating from 1327 when William Pymme built a mansion on the north side of Watery Lane (now known as Silver Street/Sterling Way ) in Edmonton . It is believed that Watery Way was so called, because of the proximity of Pymmes Brook and until the late 19th century Angel Road was known as Water Lane . From 1327 to1578, the Pymmes Estate changed hands several times, until Thomas Wilson, a statesman and a Member of Parliament, purchased the estate in 1579.
In 1582 William Cecil, the Right Honorable Lord Burleigh, Lord High Treasurer of England, purchased the Estate (6 acres of pasture and a house) for £250. Sir Robert Cecil, son of William Cecil, became the owner of Pymmes following his marriage in 1589 and the estate, which had increased to 51 acres, remained in the family until 1801. The Ray family has also had a long association with the Pymmes Estate and records show ownership dating from 1808 until 1899, when The Council purchased the 53 acres from the Ray family for £36,000. The estate was purchased to provide much needed public open space following an increase in population.
Northside was opened in 1897 and the remainder set out as a Park opened to the public in June 1906, with one of the main attractions being the Bandstand, which could seat up to 800 people. The park was named Pymmes Park after William Pymme, one of the first owners of the original Estate. Pymmes House was destroyed by fire in 1940 and a plaque (situated above the public entrance to the Walled Garden ) commemorates this fact. During World War II portions of the park were dug up for allotments.
Pages in Pymmes Park
Other documents in Parks and open spaces - general information
- Barbecues and fires
- Bush Hill Park
- Dogs in parks
- Forty Hall Park
- Green Flag
- Grovelands Park
- Oakwood Park
- Parks and Open Spaces Strategy
- Schedule 1 - Dog ban areas
- Schedule 3 - Dogs on leads by direction
- Sports pitches and courts
- Trent Country Park