How to apply
What you need to do
- Fill in the appropriate application form – choose from the list below
- Provide the correct fee and certificates
- Provide the necessary plans
- Include the information listed in our checklists. Please check you send us everything requested to avoid unnecessary delays
How to apply
- Go online through the Planning Portal (opens in new window)
- Download an application form from the pages linked to below
- Ask for a paper copy by calling in to one of our offices or calling 01539 724555
Saving applications electronically
The Planning Portal forms linked to below can't be saved electronically once filled in. This is because the Portal have locked them so questions and format can't be altered. However although these PDF forms cannot be electronically submitted, the Planning Portal offers a complete online submission process where they can submit the application forms, supporting documents and, in most cases, pay electronically.
To do this, you will need to register and log in. There is no extra charge for using the Planning Portal. Users are asked to register so the Portal can create an account for them to store all their created applications.
Types of Application
Householder Planning Permission
If you want to extend your home or alter it in some way that requires permission, please read:
- Householder Checklist and Form
- Conservation Area Householder Checklist and Form
- Listed Building Householder Checklist and Form
Tip: If you are planning to alter a listed building, please use the Listed Building Householder Checklist and Form.
Full Planning Permission
Use these forms if you need approval for some form of building or engineering works, or a change of use of land or buildings.
- Full Planning Permission Checklist and Form
- Full Planning Permission and Conservation Area Consent Checklist and Form
- Full Planning Permission for Listed Building Checklist and Form
- Full Planning Permission and Advertisement Consent Checklist and Form
Listed Building and Conservation Area Consent
You may require consent for works to Listed Buildings or demolishing structures in Conservation Areas.
Advertisement Consent Application
For when you want to display adverts on land or buildings.
Outline Planning Permission
This can be used for the approval of a development in principle. More information is then submitted later in a separate application known as a Reserved Matters application.
- Outline - Some Matters Reserved Checklist and Form
- Outline - All Matters Reserved Checklist and Form
Reserved Matters Applications
These applications include the outstanding information from an Outline Application or the submission of further information to comply with a condition of a previous permission.
Lawful Development Certificate
Lawful Development Certificates establish that an existing or proposed development or use is lawful.
- Lawful Development - Existing Use Checklist and Form
- Lawful Development - Proposed Use Checklist and Form
Prior Notification (Notice of Intention) Applications
Certain Permitted Developments may require our prior approval, including agricultural buildings, telecommunications development and some demolition works.
- Agricultural or Forestry Development - Building - Checklist and Form
- Agricultural or Forestry Development - Road - Checklist and Form
- Agricultural or Forestry Development - Excavation and Waste Material - Checklist and Form
- Agricultural or Forestry Development - Fish Tank and Cage Checklist and Form
- Telecommunications Checklist and Form
- Proposed Demolition Checklist and Form
Removal or Variation of Conditions
Use this application form if you wish to apply for the removal or variation of a condition on a previously approved permission.
Non-material Amendments to an Extant (Existing) Planning Permission
Please use the form linked to below if you wish to apply to make a non-material amendment on a previously approved and extant planning permission.
Minor-material Amendments to an Extant (Existing) Planning Permission
If you wish to apply to make a minor-material amendment on a previously approved and extant planning permission, please use this form:
- Removal or Variation of Condition Checklist and Form
- Extension of time limit for planning permission
Minor-material amendment applications are made as applications to vary a condition on a grant of planning permission under S73 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
Modification or Discharge of a Planning Obligation
If you wish to apply to modify or discharge a planning obligation agreed under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, please use this form:
Central government sets the fees for planning consent, which vary depending on the type and size of development: Planning Application Fees (PDF)
Or you can use the Planning Portal's fee calculator (opens in new window) to work out how much your application will cost. Cheques should be made payable to the Lake District National Park Authority. Please remember to include your fee payment as otherwise your application will not be valid.
If you’d like to discuss your proposal before making an application please call our Duty Planner 9.30am - 12.30pm Monday to Friday on 01539 724555. Please check in advance if you wish to contact a particular member of staff. Alternatively you can speak to a planner in person at a planning surgery - view planning surgery locations and times.
Sorry to interrupt, but what do you think of this website?
You could win a luxury Lake District hamper packed to the brim with delicious local produce!
Just fill in our quick survey (link opens in new window)