What we doThe Civil Service Commissioners contribute to the development of an effective and impartial Civil Service and support its core values by giving an assurance that appointments are made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition and by upholding the core Civil Service values in the Civil Service Code.
We achieve this by:
- Issuing Recruitment Principles aimed at providing an effective and flexible approach to recruitment at all levels;
- Auditing compliance with the Recruitment Principles (Recruitment Code until 31 March 2009) and considering complaints in relation to the application of the Recruitment Principles (Code);
- Chairing and overseeing the process of selection of senior civil servants;
- Helping departments to promote the core Civil Service values set out in the Civil Service Code;
- Investigating appeals under the Civil Service Code and the Diplomatic Service Code of Ethics.