Recruitment into the Civil Service is regulated by the Civil Service Order in Council 1995 (as amended) and the Diplomatic Service Order in Council 1991 (as amended).
The Orders in Council require the Civil Service Commissioners to:
- maintain the principle of selection for appointment on merit on the basis of fair and open competition in recruitment to the Civil Service;
- prescribe and publish Recruitment Principles on the interpretation and application of this requirement;
- incorporate in the Recruitment Principles the circumstances when appointments may be made without fair and open competition and appointment on merit;
- approve appointments at the most senior levels in the Civil Service; and
- audit the recruitment systems of departments and agencies for compliance with the Recruitment Principles.