Summary Information for vacancy - reference 23507
Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
£17920 - £20837 Per Annum
Gosport, Hampshire, South East
11 July 2011
28 July 2011
No of vacancies
Field of work
The Repair Technician / Diagnostician (Electrical / Electronic) is accountable for carrying out diagnostic analysis and repair of radiation detection equipment (in service or obsolete) within the repair facility.
The NIS team perform calibration and repair services on a wide range of radiation detection equipment, principally for the MOD, but may also include other Government Departments and commercial organisations. These services are UKAS accredited.
• To use standard repair techniques and tools safely and assist the development of the repair capability, maintain a wider watching brief on related issues and provide a contribution to the development of specific capabilities, tools and techniques.
• Help generate standard operating procedures for repair tasks / generic functions.
• Assisting the senior diagnosticians to determine standard repair times for 'routine' repair tasking.
• To efficiently work through the generated work lists to maintain minimal equipment awaiting diagnosis.
• To accurately and efficiently evaluate faults.
• Report technical issues to the Senior diagnosticians and to the Team Leader, and assist with developing automated reporting tools as part of the production management process.
• Provide technical support to the Team Leader and Customers.
• To help maintain the controlled technical stores ensuring stores are correct.
• To generate and contribute with writing and reviewing technical reports and giving customer presentations.
• To be a team member and be able to interact appropriately with peers.
• To carry out specific duties as delegated by the Team Leader or Group Leader when required.
An ONC/D pr HNC/D in an electronics related discipline (such as electronic engineering) or an equivalent practical level of experience supported by academic study (apprenticeship/City&Guilds qualification)
Working towards membership fo a professional body.
Full UK Driving Licence.
Some proven practical diagnostic experience of fault finding to component level (through hole and surface mount), applying a broad variety of analytical techniques to derive the root causes of problems.
An understanding of digital/analogue electronic systems, test equipment and fault finding processes.
Experience of microsoft office.
Ability to work as part of a team.
Experience of electronic design and PCB manufacture.
An understanding of microprocessors and display interfacing.
CRB check required - No
Regulated by OCSC - No
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - Yes
How to apply
Visit www.dstl.gov.uk/careers to download an application form. Email this to HR Business Services firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the vacancy reference in the subject line.
HR Business Services, Bldg 106, Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury, Wilts. SP4 0JQ
16061142208_23507 JOB DESCRIPTION Repait Technician.doc