Indoor Dispersion Modeller
Summary Information for vacancy - reference 23503
Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
SP4 0JQ, Salisbury, Wiltshire, South West
23 June 2011
15 July 2011
No of vacancies
Field of work
Team member of the Fluid Dynamics and Indoor Dispersion team working within the field of chemical and biological defence
The post holder’s contribution will be measured in terms of quality of technical output (e.g. technical reports produced, peer reviewed papers published), new method development resulting in expanded capability, new work areas developed with existing or new customers
The post will involve building and running fluid dynamics models using either: commercially available software, in-house software or by producing their own models. The models will typically be used to predict the hazard from releases of chemical or biological agents within a range of enclosed environments
The successful candidate will join a well established productive research team working in chemical and biological defence.
The candidate will have a proven background in fluid dynamics modelling ideally indoor dispersion modelling.
The candidate will also be expected to lead small technical project teams and to be involved in the entire project life-cycle from bidding and planning through to communicating the results to the customer and discussing future programme requirements.
The team also has an experimental capability which is used to validate the models and it is expected that the successful candidate would also be involved in some of this work.
The Fluid Dynamics and Indoor Dispersion team has use of a dedicated high power computing facility for running both in-house and COTS software.
• Five plus years experience of CFD and or multizone modelling
• Experience of computer programming ideally using scripting languages.
• Experience of leading technical project teams or of working unsupervised on projects.
• Experience of fluid dynamics model development or sub model development (e.g. user routines to supplement a COTS CFD code)
• Experience of CFD modelling using Fluent and Gambit software
• Experience of CFD modelling for indoor dispersion
• External publication record
• A minimum of a 2.1 degree in a physical science or engineering.
• A master’s degree or PhD in a physical science or engineering.
• A degree or post graduate qualification with a significant fluid dynamics component to it.
• Understanding of and an interest in fluid dynamics.
• Understanding of the principles of indoor dispersion.
• Understanding the principles of aerosol science.
• Understanding of key factors relevant to the dispersion of chemical or biological agents.
CRB check required - No
Regulated by OCSC - No
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - Yes
How to apply
Please submit a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the vacacny reference number 23503 in the subject line.
100611111234_External Application Form.doc
100611111425_23503 JO indoor dispersion modeller.doc