The Government Secure Intranet (GSi) is a Managed Service operated by Buying Solutions, and delivered through a partnership with Cable & Wireless UK (formerly Energis Communications Ltd). The acquisition of Energis by Cable & Wireless was completed on Monday 14th November 2005 with the formation of a new company called Cable & Wireless UK. Energis Communications Ltd continue as a legal entity within Cable & Wireless plc.
GSi is a service dedicated to providing a value-for-money, fully managed telecommunications solution to public sector organisations. Among the many features and benefits offered are:
- Service and contract management.
- First class products and services from a market-leading supplier
- Transparent cost structure, enabling you to set firm, achievable budgets.
- Full compliance with EU procurement directives
- Consistent standards of service through rigorous SLA, with continuous monitoring of fault management, service provision and customer satisfaction.
- Membership is open to Government Departments, their agencies, Non Departmental Public Bodies and Local Authorities.
GSi provides a secure route for electronic communications between connected GSi organisations, and onward secure communication to other networks including the criminal justice and NHS networks. Organisations can also choose between three different types of connection depending on their needs. Private companies can also apply to join under specific circumstances.