Enabling Click Tracking
How do Clicks and Viral Lift work?
Get the most out of your AddThis analytics suite! AddThis can not only measure how much traffic is brought back to your pages from visitors sharing your content with our tools, but also whether that additional viral traffic – "viral lift" – resulted in additional viral shares and traffic.
This is accomplished by appending a variable to your URLs when they are shared. We then use this variable to track how many people come back to your content from those links.
Enabling Clicks & Viral Lift Tracking
If you registered and got AddThis code recently (or were already a member and Signed In) your code was automatically configured to track Clicks and Viral lift. No additional work is necessary.
If it's been a while since you got your AddThis code, or you did not Register or Sign In at the time, the easiest way to enable these additional features is to get the newest version of AddThis.
If however you wish to keep the code you have, you can enable Click and Viral Lift tracking by adding the following to your AddThis code:
- It will take at least a day for clicks and viral lift to show up in your analytics reports.
- This change must be made to all instances of your AddThis code.
What are the implications of tracking Clicks with URL parameters, and SEO?
There are a couple of points to keep in mind:
- Page URLs are modified with an additional parameter only when they are shared
- If you are already using the rel="canonical" tag in your pages, you shouldn't have any issues
- If you still concerned about SEO and do not wish for your URLs to be modified when a visitor shares, you can disable this feature by including the code below
To disable Click and Viral Lift tracking, include the following in your AddThis code:
I set up Click and Viral Lift tracking – why don't I see any Clicks?
There are a few reasons why you might not see data:
- Your content hasn't been shared yet.
- Your content has been shared, but hasn't yet brought any traffic back to your site.
- The feature isn't set up correctly – please see the information above and the Client API page for help with installation. Note: Be sure that you have not defined
addthis_configtwice in your AddThis code!