Information for referees
All applications for research grants undergo scientific assessment of research quality by UK and overseas experts in the field from academia, Government or industry.
This assessment considers how applications meet the criteria for:
- scientific excellence
- relevance to BBSRC strategy
- economic and social impact
- timeliness and promise
- cost effectiveness
- staff training potential of the project
From January 2011, referees wil use the Je-S system to view documents and comment on proposals.
Referees of applications submitted before January 2011 will continue to use the email-based referee system.
The spreadsheet below contains a revised list of keywords launched in December 2008.
- David Phillips guidance (PDF 72KB)
- David Phillips referee's form (DOCX 26KB)
- Research development guidance (PDF 69KB)
- Research development referee's form (DOC 54KB)
- Institute career path guidance (PDF 78KB)
- Institute career path form (DOC 56KB)
- Institute development guidance (PDF 73KB)
- Institute development referee's form (DOC 56KB)
- Industrial impact guidance (PDF 83KB)
- Industrial impact referee's form (DOC 52KB)