Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Friday, 12 August 2011

Pension Tracing Service - trace a personal or company pension scheme

If you've lost the details of a pension The Pension Tracing Service may be able to help by providing your pension scheme’s address. You can then contact the scheme and find your entitlement. Find out what The Pension Tracing Service can do for you and how you can contact them.

Tracing a pension scheme

It can be easy to lose track of a pension if you change jobs through your working life.

The Pension Tracing Service (part of The Pension Service) will try and help you trace a pension even if you're not sure of the contact details. It has access to information on over 200,000 pension schemes. The Pension Tracing Service will use this database, free of charge, to search for your scheme.

The Pension Tracing Service may be able to provide you with current contact details for a pension scheme. You can then use this information to contact the pension provider and find out if you have any pension entitlement.

Information to give to the Pension Tracing Service

You need to give the Pension Tracing Service what information you can. It will help if you can tell the Pension Tracing Service what type of pension scheme you are searching for. They hold details of two types of pension scheme: company pension schemes and personal pension schemes.

Company pension scheme

This is a pension scheme an employer offers to its employees. It can also be known as an occupational or works pension scheme.

If you are trying to trace a company pension scheme, start by working out:

  • whether the employer traded under a different name
  • the type of business the employer ran
  • whether the employer changed address at any time
  • when you belonged to the pension scheme

Find out more about Company Pensions:

Personal pension scheme

This is a scheme bought from a pension provider, like a bank, life assurance company or building society. It is entirely your own, which means you can continue to contribute to it if you move jobs.

If you are trying to trace a personal pension scheme, start by working out:

  • the name of the personal pension scheme
  • the address where the personal pension scheme was run from
  • the name of the bank, insurance company or building society involved with the personal pension scheme

Find out more about Personal Pensions: 

Contact the Pension Tracing Service online

You can complete an online form and start tracing your old pension right away. It should take about 15 minutes to complete the form.

Contact the Pension Tracing Service by phone

You can phone the Pension Tracing Service on:

Tel: 0845 6002 537 (lines are open 8.00 am to 6.00 pm)
Tel: +44 191 215 4491 (if you're dialling from overseas)
Textphone: 0845 3000 169

Contact the Pension Tracing Service by post

You can also trace your pension by writing to the Pension Tracing Service:

Pension Tracing Service
The Pension service
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road,
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Was this information useful?

How useful did you find this information?

500 character limit
Your Privacy Opens new window

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Access keys