Infrastructure Specialist - Fixed Term until 31 July 2013
Summary Information for vacancy - reference IS01
£40600 - £40600 Pro-rata
Brighton, East Sussex, South East
23 June 2011
No of vacancies
Field of work
Brief Description of the role
The post holder will be responsible for administering and maintaining the internal and external network & server infrastructure. The post holder will also play a key role in the design, configuration and implementation of technical projects and solutions. This role will also require the post holder to take on support duties offering an escalation point for the service desk team.
• Provide technical expertise with the entire technical project lifecycle, encompassing design, implementation and ongoing support.
• Daily contact with principle stakeholders, providing technical guidance and representative for IT infrastructure services.
• Regular maintenance, configuration and administration of NetBackup architecture, ensuring ongoing stability and performance of the backup topology.
• Fully responsible for Cisco network architecture, encompassing design of infrastructure solutions, firewall configuration and multi-site networking support.
• Provide daily maintenance, configuration and administration for VMware virtual infrastructure across two sites, server environment, and SAN storage architecture including DR sites.
• Regular maintenance and monitoring of internal and external infrastructure security.
• Act as representative for infrastructure services, to both internal and external stakeholders.
• Daily monitoring of all aspects of the IT infrastructure, providing preventative measures to ensure a high degree of reliability and performance of TPR systems.
• Adherence to IT security policies and best practices (ITIL, ISO 27001, CESG), maintaining the integrity of the internal and external IT infrastructure.
• Provide regular documentation of network, storage and server infrastructure components, how-to guides, and topology diagrams, ensuring these are up to date at all times.
• Proactively develop technical skill-set ensuring advanced level of technical ability.
• Maintain full understanding of business applications and environments, providing a professional level of service to internal and external stakeholders.
• Providing a technical escalation point for the IT service delivery team, assisting and offering guidance for technical issues.
• Advanced level of knowledge and previous experience of Cisco networking within multiple sites; VLAN’s, VTP, 802.1q trunking, NAT, VPN, ACL’s, routing protocols, wireless, Cisco ASA firewall, HSRP and HA technologies.
• Solid advanced understanding of network technologies and protocols; DNS, DHCP and TCP/IP networking.
• Advanced level of knowledge and previous experience of VMware Virtual Infrastructure enterprise architecture (version 3 or higher), including Linux command line administration, DRS, HA, provisioning, and performance reporting.
• Proven experience of high availability server and network environments (clustering, NLB, HSRP, VMware DRS / HA, and load-balancer configuration).
• Proven experience with enterprise storage technologies, including SAN, NAS, RAID levels, and storage technologies (SCSI, SAS, SATA).
• Solid understanding of Dell and HP server hardware and management tools (i.e. SNMP, Dell OpenManage, HP Insight Manager, ILO or DRAC).
• Advanced knowledge and previous experience with Citrix Access Gateway (Advanced edition), Advanced Access Control, Citrix XenApp and terminal services.
• Previous experience and solid understanding of enterprise backup solutions (NetBackup 6 or above, robotic tape libraries, VTL’s).
• Previous experience with Microsoft CRM or document management systems.
• VMware VCP (VI3) certification and previous experience with VMware ESX and Virtual Infrastructure.
• Minimum of Cisco CCNP/CCIP (or equivalent Cisco professional experience).
• Previous experience and expert knowledge of Cisco switches, ASA firewall and router architecture across multiple sites.
• Demonstrable experience in an IT server and networking infrastructure role.
• Must have previous experience with Government Secure Intranet (GSI) networking, and security policies (CESG).
• Identify, prioritise and plan effectively – Mentor
• Deliver appropriate outcomes in line with our objectives – Mentor
• Evaluate, learn, adapt and improve – Mentor
• Understand our audience – Experienced
• Communicate clearly – Experienced
• Build good working relationships – Mentor
• Respect others – Mentor
• Take responsibility – Mentor
• Behave professionally - Mentor
CRB check required - Yes
Regulated by OCSC - No
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - No
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send a covering letter, with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria and your CV to Row Elliott