- Accessibility help
- Text size:
Every Child a Talker: Guidance for Early Language Lead Practitioners (First instalment)
- Publication date:
- Nov 2008
- Early years foundation stage practitioner
- Guidance, Early years to Key Stage 1, Subject leadership, Subject specific guidance
- Booklet, Key resource
This publication is available as a PDF file (1.1 MB).
Every Child a Talker (ECAT) aims to:
- raise children's achievement in early language
- improve practitioners' skills and knowledge
- increase parental understanding and involvement in children's language development
ECAT is designed to help create a developmentally appropriate, supportive and stimulating environment in which children can enjoy experimenting with and learning language. It can be implemented whether children are in Early Years settings, with a childminder or at home with their parents. Through everyday, fun and interesting activities which reflect children's interests, ECAT will encourage early language development right from the outset, extending children's vocabulary and helping them build sentences so that before they start school, children are confident and skilled communicators.
These materials are designed to support in developing the role as a lead practitioner and in developing high quality language provision and are closely linked to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
This first instalment includes the following sections:
- audit tools for evaluating your current language provision and identifying priorities for improvement
- features of communication-friendly settings: what does one look and sound like?
- top tips for effective communication: how best to communicate with children
- guidance on supporting children learning English as an Additional Language
- making the most of everyday activities to promote language development
- effective practice in securing parental engagement.
This publication may be available to order from:
- This publication is only available for download.
In this section
- CLLD consultant folder
- Child development overview
- Co-coaching directory
- Communication, Language and Literacy Development (CLLD) programme: Materials for practitioners
- Every Child a Talker: Guidance for Early Language Lead Practitioners (First instalment)
- Every Child a Talker: Guidance for Early Language Lead Practitioners (Second instalment)
- IDP EYFS: Teaching and supporting pupils with SLCN
- Inclusion Development Programme Supporting children with speech, language and communication needs: Guidance for practitioners in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Key Questions Documents to support ITT in reviewing and developing their literacy provision
- Letters and Sounds: Continuing professional development (CPD)
- Letters and sounds: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Mark Making Matters: Young children making meaning in all areas of learning and development
- Provision which best supports children with literacy difficulties
- School Improvement: Communication, Language and Literacy Development (CLLD) across Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1, North West region
- Supporting boys' achievements case study: Developing action research with practitioners in a nursery class in Gateshead
- Using ICT in the Foundation Stage case study - Brent LA
- 1.1 Child development
- Early Years Foundation Stage Profile
- Every Child a Talker: Guidance for Consultants and Early Language Lead Practitioners (Third instalment)
- Progress Matters: Reviewing and enhancing young children's development
- Seamless transitions: Supporting continuity in young children's learning
- Supporting children learning English as an additional language: Guidance for practitioners in the Early Years Foundation Stage