- Accessibility help
- Text size:
Ensuring the attainment of Black pupils
- Publication date:
- Dec 2007
- Coordinator, Deputy headteacher, EMA consultant, EMA manager, Headteacher, Inclusion staff, Lead intervention teacher
- Continuing professional development (CPD), Ethnic minority achievement, Guidance, Leadership, Management resources, Self evaluation, Training, Training materials
- CD/DVD, Pack
This publication is available in a ZIP file (1.3 MB). (The contents of this zip file can be downloaded from the attachments area to the right.)
Ensuring the attainment of Black pupils is intended to support senior leaders in raising the achievement of Black pupils through self-evaluation and targeted action, closely integrated with other aspects of whole-school improvement. The key areas of focus are leadership and management, Data, the learning environment and quality-first teaching.
The guidance materials consist of a Management guide booklet and six units. The units provide guidance for senior leaders, professional development modules and additional activities and resources. Pauses for reflection and action planning are included in the guidance, enabling senior and middle leaders to identify priorities and areas to develop within whole-school systems and classroom practice.
The pack contains a CD-ROM showing how some schools are developing their practice in raising the attainment of Black pupils.
Each module contains an overview of the session, the intended audience, expected outcomes, a selection of activities to engage colleagues and an opportunity to review, evaluate and identify next steps.
The professional development modules are designed to be used selectively, depending on the priorities identified by the school. Each unit can stand alone, and the units are not sequential, although it is advisable to complete the professional development modules in the order suggested. The structure of the guidance is intended to support senior leaders to map their way through a training and development programme. The links between modules are also identified within the modules themselves.
This publication may be available to order from:
- This publication is only available for download.
In this section
- Ensuring the attainment of pupils learning English as an additional language: A management guide
- Excellence and Enjoyment: Learning and teaching for Black children in the primary years
- New Arrivals Excellence Programme: CPD Modules
- Raising the achievement of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller pupils
- Raising the attainment of Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Somali and Turkish heritage pupils: A management guide
- Unlocking potential - raising ethnic minority attainment at Key Stage 3