Year 2 intensive reading support
- 1 Year 2 intensive reading support
- 2 Day 1 Session 1: Plan Year 2 reading support
- 3 Day 2 Session 2: Assessing the class using a running record
- 4 Day 2 Session 3: Grouping, setting focuses for guided reading and planning
- 5 Day 2 Session 4: Audit of Year 2 reading resources
- 6 Day 3 Session 5: Observation, demonstration, review of the reading environment
- 7 Day 3 Session 6: Shared reading – feedback and planning
- 8 Day 3 Session 7: Staff meeting – planning an additional reading session
- 9 Day 4 Session 8: Observation and demonstration
- 10 Day 4 Session 9: Evaluation of the support
Day 3 Session 6: Shared reading – feedback and planning
Aims and overview
The aims of the session are to:
- review the shared reading session and give feedback to the teacher
- plan a unit of work (one week) focusing on shared reading.
Before the session
- Photocopy pages 2-3 of Book Bands for guided reading ('distinctions between shared, guided and independent reading') to share with the class teacher if appropriate.
- Photocopy the observation sheet for the Year 2 teacher (resource 13).
- Collect relevant resources for planning (blank planning forms, medium-term plan, school overview of shared reading target focus).
- Check that appropriate shared texts are available to choose from for planning.
During the session
- Talk through observation notes and points for action with the teacher.
- Discuss the reading strategies that the class needs to focus on. The teacher should have a clear idea of these reading strategies and behaviours from the running records and his/her observations during guided reading. Understanding that the choice of focuses should be based on these needs is crucial, i.e. assessment and observation inform choice of targets and focuses. They are not selected at random from the medium-term plan. At this level these strategies will need to include phonics and word recognition.
- Ensure planning support focuses on areas for development that you identified (for both teacher and children) during the shared reading observation. Consult the medium-term plan.
- Write a shared reading plan for one week, using the model of resource 14 (Monday: comprehension focus; Tuesday: reading strategy focus; Wednesday: objective relating to text type).
- The focus of this session is on planning the shared reading, which leads into the shared writing later in the week. The content of independent activities will depend on whether guided reading is taken within or outside the literacy hour. Time constraints do not allow for detailed planning of independent activities during this session. You may wish to offer suggestions, but the main emphasis should be on developing the quality of the shared part of the lesson.
- You may want to link the class reading curricular target to the planned shared reading session.
Ensure teachers understand that:
- children need to understand the text first and foremost, therefore the content, concepts and unfamiliar vocabulary of shared text need to be discussed fully. Children learning English as an Additional Language (EAL) especially need encouragement to ask when they do not understand something.
- word-level objectives will be taught during spelling and phonics work, but will be applied during shared reading.
- a text-level focus/target for reading and another for writing should be chosen.
- text-level objective 2 (T2 – to use phonological, contextual, grammatical and graphic knowledge to predict, work out and check the meanings of unfamiliar words and to make sense of what they read) should be included every week, with the specific searchlight focus 'unpicked' and made explicit.
- a text-level focus, or links to a class target that is genre-specific, must be included, e.g. to discuss story settings (narrative), to note key structural features (instructions). These focuses/targets should not be introduced before children have read and understood the text as a whole.
Resource 13: Literacy observation criteria
Resource 14: Sample shared reading/writing plan for Year 2
Literacy consultant/leading literacy teacher, Year 2 teacher(s)