Developing quality through leadership: Nottinghamshire
What did we do?
- Date: Mar 2007
- Programme: Developing quality through leadership
- Focus: Supporting practitioners to develop their leadership skills
- Number in series: 4
- Phase: Early Years
- Key stage: Foundation Stage
- Local authority: Nottinghamshire
- Ref: 00019-2007LEF-EN
Through this project we were able to offer an opportunity for some small-scale action research to leaders to help them apply the understanding they gained from the three–session leadership training course to their own situations.
- identified areas and aspects for development;
- considered possibilities for action;
- made action plans and evaluated them.
Mentors from the local authority specialist teacher team provided regular mentoring and support, as well as opportunities for the leaders to meet and network.
Following an initial meeting, the leaders identified areas to focus on. Broadly, these comprised:
- recognising the need to develop staff through delegation;
- supporting staff through the development of curriculum changes and new initiatives.
We reviewed and amended our existing three-session course to ensure that it matched with the knowledge evidence for units 401 and 404 of the National Occupational Standards in Children’s Care, Learning and Development (CCLD) at level 4. As new programmes begin, we will direct practitioners towards ways of demonstrating performance in these units. We made contact with local further education providers to discuss developing a relevant NVQ level 4 CCLD programme and found a local college offering this.