Year 3 Poetry Unit 2 – Shape poetry and calligrams
Teaching sequence phase 3
Independent composition; re-drafting and editing writing (2 days)
- Establish success criteria for writing shape poems. Ensure that the success criteria link to children's targets as appropriate.
- Provide children with a digital photograph or scanned image of their subject and a piece of tracing paper or acetate. In pairs or independently, children write their own shape poems. The teacher may choose to use different images and explore and generate language and vocabulary as a model before children write their own poems.
- Use response partners during the writing process to support re-drafting and editing of ideas.
- Compare and contrast poems and invite children to comment on the impact of the layout and to express their likes and dislikes clearly, offering supporting evidence from the poem.
- Poems could be displayed alongside children's artwork.
- Children can identify examples where language is used to create a specific effect in a poem.
- Children can write a poem (collaboratively or individually) that uses language to create an effect.